The problem with praise dancing

Arlene Jones

A couple of weeks ago I did a column where I questioned the origins of "praise dancing." Growing up in the '60s and '70s, I never heard of it. But when black people started having their own beauty pageants and contestants didn't have a true talent, then they would do an interpretive dance.

That same interpretive dance has now made its way into a lot of churches under the guise of "Praise Dancing." I must admit I am not a fan of praise dancing. For me it equates to those who weren't talented enough to make the cheerleading squad, so they became members of the pom-pon team. Both cheer at the game. But while one is deserving of your attention, the other can happen or not happen and many won't notice the difference.

I asked people to email me about the origins of praise dancing or their thoughts on such. One gentleman's email read as if he'd read my mind. He questioned a church activity that had women in body-hugging leotards covered by flowing dresses (sometimes made of the sheerest of material) while they kicked, turned and thrust their hips to and fro.

On the other hand, I heard from women who enjoy praise dancing. One said, "It adds beauty and deep emotionalism to the service." I was also sent a number of scripture passages that refers to both men and women dancing in the Bible.

So imagine the quandary I found myself in when I attended the program for Garfield Major this past Saturday at Divine Tree of Light Church. As Pastor T.C. Raven sang my favorite song, "Just Put it in Jesus' Hands," I stood up from the pew and began to clap and move about. My elations could have even been termed "dancing." So does that make me a hypocrite? I had to question myself.

After giving it deeper and even more introspective thought, I still don't like praise dancing. The reason? When one gets the spirit of the Holy Ghost, it is done with spontaneity. It is not planned. Or choreographed. It just happens. It's kind of like those who get so caught up in the church that they "speak in tongues." That occurrence is not on the church program. It can't be performed.

The same can be said for all those passages from the Bible. Those who danced didn't plan on it. They didn't practice for it. It wasn't in the church bulletin. It was a spontaneous tribute to God that can never be duplicated. Even if it happens over and over again, it is not a duplication. Sometimes it happens in the beginning of the service. Other times at the end of the service. Sometimes it lasts a minute. Other times it can go on forever. But in the end, it is not planned and that is, for me, the defining factor on dancing in the church. For when one has to have rehearsals to learn the steps and movements, then is it really dancing to praise God or dancing for the entertainment of the congregation?

Singing is a God-given talent that people use in church to offer their talent to God. Where is the talent in praise dancing? One auditions for the choir. Do they audition to praise dance? And given the timeframe when the Bible was written, the interpretation of dance back then could be a simple hop and skip as opposed to the leg-thrusting and arm-waving that I've been seeing as I watch the praise-dancing segments that were posted to YouTube. And is there really choreography involved when the same hand movements are used over and over again? I wonder how many of the young girls, who are the predominant ones doing praise dancing, would be willing to put forth a concerted effort into formal ballet training? You know the kind where your feet hurt and bleed from being on your toes and your legs muscles cramp from the constant reaching for perfection?

Lastly, I've got to get some answers on another dance that is now becoming popular in black churches. That is the tendency to have black people performing as "mimes" in whiteface. Can anyone besides me see the hypocrisy in our getting mad over white people in blackface, then put the exact opposite in our churches as an acceptable form of entertainment?

www.arlenejones.blogspot.com

Reader Comments

127 Comments - Add Your Comment

Comment Policy

keith from fort lauderdale

Posted: April 18th, 2014 10:40 AM

I am a man who believes that there is only one way to worship GOD and that is in spirit and in truth. However an individual chooses to worship as long as it comes from a sincere heart who am i to say what forms of praise GOD accepts. If you are blinded by the outfits i suggest you go back to the altar and cry out until deliverance becomes victory. GOD BLESS

fil from wayne

Posted: April 12th, 2014 9:51 PM

Bring the Gold Back into the Temple! Man has done in this day the same thing that was done in King Rehoboam's day. In the Old Testament, the enemy came in and stole the gold out of the temple of the Lord. Then King Rehoboam came along and substituted brass for gold. Christians have don the same thing today. They have substituted the gold of the temple - God's plans, purposes, and pursuits for His New Testament Church - for the brass of the world. They have brought into the church worldly and fle

corey

Posted: April 10th, 2014 7:48 AM

We are silly if we think God has to tell us every little thing we can't do. Obedience is doing what you are told to do. You don't add to it, you don't subtract from it. Doing so is a trespass, a sin. Let us quit acting as if God doesn't know what He wants.

Corey

Posted: April 10th, 2014 7:35 AM

Can anyone show me where they praise danced in the New Testament? When singing, we are teaching one another. Exactly what lesson is taught through dance? Something says "crashing cymbal"...

Benny

Posted: April 9th, 2014 3:56 PM

RAHM EMANUEL IS SO DESPERATE FOR THE BLACK VOTE HE WILL START PRAISE DANCING

Michelle

Posted: April 7th, 2014 6:26 PM

If praise dance is not for God and only for the congregation because sometimes it's choreographed and practiced then can I say the same thing about singers? It's practiced and rehearsed so does that mean it's not done In the spirit? A pastor can practice his message and study in order to get it just right does that make his message not in the spirit? When you do something for The Lord it should always be with excellence and that requires practice. Praise dancers are worshipers not performers.

sherre bevineau from medford

Posted: April 7th, 2014 5:10 PM

GOD gave us legs to dance hands to clap nothing wrong with praise dancing and it can be done in order or just on the spot GOD knows the dancers heart and if you are sitting watching their clothing you better check yourself .

Ree from knoxville

Posted: April 7th, 2014 3:37 PM

I think that your are totally wrong. I am a praise dance coach at a Baptist church in Knoxville, TN. We believe that praise dancing is the same thing as being a missionary to god. Your telling ppl thru body movement and expressions about god. The whole point of being a Missionary is telling ppl who god is, and 2 bring ppl closer to him. God gave us all gifts to be able to praise him while we can. Dancing is a gift that is gods blessing for you to be a missionary and give ur gift bk 2 him. AMEN

Kiki

Posted: April 2nd, 2014 10:59 PM

There's nothing wrong with praise dancing. "Christians are so quick to jump down other Christians' throats." Smh. Dance is also a gift from God just like singing, and He honors the fact that His children use their gifts for good and not evil. They could've been dancing in the world like Beyonce but their bringing Glory to His name. Praise dancers don't practice for the sake of having a routine, it's about spiritual discipline, putting your flesh under subjection, fasting and praying together.

MJ from Tulsa

Posted: March 25th, 2014 9:01 AM

I don't see anything wrong with the coming together to rehearse a dance. It's the same thing people do to rehearse a song. Anytime it's more than one person, there has to be some type of rehearsal to arrange movements(dance) or harmonies(choir). Man looks at the outward appearance but God looks at the heart. Dancers and singers are all required to check their heart and motives before offering anything publicly unto God.

Lee from Roanoke

Posted: March 21st, 2014 9:01 PM

This reminds me of the time drums weren't aloud , when women couldn't wear pants or when Christian Rap was thought to be of the devil (maybe that's your view as well). God tells us to go out and fish for souls. We should use everything in our power to do just that. I was born in a place where drug dealers, and gun runners gave their lives to God who first came through rap and heart broken people were uplifted by a dance. Maybe, if you witnessed lives changed you wouldn't be so quick to judge.

Spidey

Posted: March 21st, 2014 1:49 PM

Do you realize that God is a real and has an opinion? Don't you think he likes to be praised a certain way? I warn you brothers and sisters lean not on your own feelings and understanding but instead seek Christ in all things.Also stop saying "Don't judge me." because what you really are saying is "I don't wanna give this or that up." Read your Bibles! I Cor. 6:1-5 God says we who are justified can judge. The Holy Ghost also in you calls you to and He too has an opinion!

Leslie

Posted: March 17th, 2014 12:54 PM

I am really surprised at all the judgment that is being spewed out on this subject. I do agree that Praise Dancers should not make seductive moves. Women teach them God's Way! Although, at our church we have a Praise Dance Team and they have brought tears to my eyes and they do not dance the way you are describing. They dance with God's Grace and the Holy Spirit and you know he is there. It is high time Christians stopped judging each other and start loving each other as Christ loves us!

RejoicinginJesus

Posted: March 15th, 2014 1:55 AM

Wow! After reading some of the comments, I can also say we don't have all the answers. I believe that if God did not want us to dance, then that would have been something that he would have spoke against. What i read in the bible about dance is that it was always a way to show worship to God. Remember Mariam led women in the dance. I do believe that God looks at your motive and he is the only one who knows what is in your heart. I am a dancer and i thank God that it blesses people 2 c prs dance.

Lisa from Parsippany

Posted: March 13th, 2014 6:56 AM

I've seen praise dancing in a Pentecostal church I had attended for awhile. As I think it is very beautiful and thought of doing it myself when I went to the church, I actually found it very distracting while trying to praise and worship, and I often wondered how many Christian men may be distracted by it in a different away and the deceiver trying to make their minds wander away from Jesus who they were praising.

pam from fort lauderdale

Posted: March 10th, 2014 4:01 PM

When people look for something wrong or negativity, they will find it. God gave us creativity to use it for his glory. What you need to understand is, is it being used for the glory of God. You DON'T know because that comes from the heart of a person. Lets not judge. Better they are in the church and Praising God than in the streets worshipping the devil.

Brietta

Posted: March 4th, 2014 7:38 AM

I have to respectfully disagree about the not having talent portion. My daughter and niece attend one of the top ballet schools in the country. They choose to praise dance through liturgical ballet. They are also choir members. They are taught to give all their gifts back to God. Can everyone dance en pointe? No; I admit those days are gone, but in the eyes of God, we just have to give our personal best. Hope this helps, be blessed.

Michelle from Las Vegas

Posted: February 28th, 2014 8:21 PM

it may not be for everyone and I personally do have auditions, however I feel like however people feel the need to worship the Lord, I think they should be free to do so. It's all in the heart behind it.. That's just me. I love God, I love praise dance, singing... spoken word etc! I disagree with you, however I respect your opinion. I will continue to praise the Lord through praise dance and hope that I can continue to be used by God that way until he says otherwise! :-) God bless you!

Michelle from Las Vegas

Posted: February 28th, 2014 8:19 PM

Well, I am a praise dance leader.. and I have encountered people who love it and people who hate it. I disagree with this article and I love that praise dance can be used to change the atmosphere, and create and even deeper worship experience. I teach my girls modesty as well as the importance of being free in dance. The girls I have some are classically trained and others are not... however when we move it is not to entertain, but we invite people into worship with us. I personally think that

Deacon Amos from Newburgh, N.Y.

Posted: February 27th, 2014 8:09 PM

True praise in dance was indeed first done when King David danced out of his clothes SHOWING HIS BODY overjoyed bc he succeeded bringing The Ark of the Covenant into the city of David he danced to receive Gods blessing & to praise God in all his excellence & glory. Today dancing/singing to glorify & praise god has changed bc of the times. WE MUST MOVE FORWARD. I do praise in dance & teach boys age 7-12 it is not just done by girls/women. I pray for U. Just know I love U but God loves U more!

Vicktory

Posted: February 26th, 2014 7:47 AM

and we will defend them and attack the person who speaks the truth! God Bless you Arlene! None of have it ALL right! But you do have most of it correct!

Vicktory

Posted: February 26th, 2014 7:46 AM

I have ministered through dancing and witness people be delivered! However, have some of it gone too far? YES IT HAS! As far as mime wearing white paint on the face...I AGREE! I have had a white person to ask me about this? But we as BLACKS become so offended about things of such! But as I can best tell you...Do the history of Pantomime and that along says why it should NOT be in the church! But we have to also remember that we know that church will become blemished with the things of the world

Vicktory

Posted: February 26th, 2014 7:42 AM

I have listen to people complain about not wanting to wear their hair up. No, I don't want to wear a top over my leotard. Women bending over with their buttocks in their towards the congregation! I have seen the expression of men when women and young girls are bouncing up and down and thier precious jewels are doing the same. Legs being kicked high in the air! Yes I have witness almost all it. However, I DO NOT AGREE with you about it is for one who does not have talent! DANCING IS A GIFT!

Vicktory from Madison

Posted: February 26th, 2014 7:38 AM

As I read your article and read the comments, it is obivous that many were offended. To call you ignort, you miss the mark, its just YOU! I am a woship dancer. I do not minister in Sunday service;; however, I do minister at Women Conference and other Community Outreach Program. I have in the past! I used to choregraph. I am a witness of it being "ENTERTAINMENT"! I have heard the comments made by those who dance! Whether it is appropriate for the church? That is to be judged by God.

Angel

Posted: February 25th, 2014 7:40 PM

I think of Sunday as Family Day. The day Abba Father invites His children to assemble in His house to respond/reflect from days past and refresh/refuel for days to come through corp and self-expression. Each bringing gifts of praise, worship, offerings, etc; in response to show our love and appreciation. I can just see Father at rest, feet propped on His earthly footstool, wiggling toes to the beat, delighting as His children bring their special gifts! A parent loves every gift from their child!

Melissa

Posted: February 25th, 2014 12:53 AM

This ignorance at its best. While there are some dancers that are content with the arbitrary hand movements spoke of in this article there are others who have dedicated their time and God- given talent for dance so God may be glorified. It is not a game or for show. You missed Ms. Jones. Your example about the choir proves just because something is rehearsed does not mean the Spirit is not in it.

Patricia from College park

Posted: February 22nd, 2014 8:44 PM

I am a praise dancer and not all of my dances are choreography. Sometimes God will place a song upon my heart, and I allow the Holy Spirit to lead me. Yes, you may not understand due to the time frame you we're raise but praise&worship includes dancing in this day and age. I pray my God give you true understanding of praise dancing....

pam from Fort Lauderdale

Posted: February 17th, 2014 1:45 AM

In my opinion Praise Dancing is to you how you receive it. If you receive it as entertainment, then it's entertainment to you. If you receive it as praise or worship then it's praise or worship to you. The bottom line is, it is better to use dancing for God's glory than for man's entertainment. I have seen praise dancers take an entire church into praise and the people began to worship. If you don't perceive it as worship, then it will never become worship to you.

KaTina from Houston , TX

Posted: February 14th, 2014 1:34 AM

As a Seventh-day Adventist preacher's kid, I grew up battling with my parents if dance is aform of praise. And after my journey, i concluded it is with orgins from Africa and West India! My question to you is can you dance? Are you an expert on praise? Because as someone who has taken dance, everyone can't praise dance even with ballet skills. Also, do you know a songstress that sings without practice or a sermon preached without preparation. Praise should never be judged even if u don't get it.

Elder Walters in Atlanta from Atlanta

Posted: February 7th, 2014 6:34 AM

Wow honey,God BLESS you with wisdom and understanding!Obviously,you lack and I DON'T ptaise dance but I love to wach PEOPLE glorify God in that way!!!

Larry from Chicago

Posted: February 6th, 2014 8:19 PM

My true concern would the decline of the community while the many churches (on every street corner and 4 in between) profit from religion. How many pimps and hustlers now claim to be called to the ministry? How many Mercedes and Fur coats does your Pastor need, while the needy in the congregation suffer? You preach about how God has "anointed" you but, are powerless outside the church doors...as you pass through a gauntlet of drug dealers and gang bangers running to get to your car.

Larry from Chicago

Posted: February 6th, 2014 8:10 PM

Okay; I found the article to be one of opinion. The opinion of a church going person that cannot understand the origins or, the purpose of praise dancing. I read ALL of the comments and, I had to agree with one of the comments about how THIS topic seemed to garner far more attention than "meaningful" topics that affect the African American community. I could not care less about praise dancing. My question would be, "does it make you a better person"? If so, keep doing it. Cont.

Williamnetta from Henderson, North Carolina

Posted: February 6th, 2014 12:18 PM

Praise dancing is not for someone to judge. Praise Dancing is away to show his work. Just like singing and preaching is telling his word. If you take time and think about "Where do it come from?" All of them comes from him, the Lord. Also, Praise Dancing don't just come from nowhere. It comes in a visiton. I'm a Praise Dancer, and when I dance I show his work. Also, THE CHILDREN, everyone knows that they learn by seeing. So praise dancing in front of them would be teaching them about him.

mike burger from west orange, nj

Posted: January 27th, 2014 8:28 PM

Yeah that's weird. Those people generally fall into two categories: performers (not in the positive sense) and unstable people. Also, as a white man, I don't see a problem with the Whiteface, although I do think it's a strange thing to do in church.

12yearoldpraisedancer from phoenix

Posted: January 27th, 2014 5:30 PM

You know, my family is a family of ministers. My mom is head over children's program, dad minister, uncle pastor, aunt first lady, Me PRAISEDANCER! It doesn't matter how you praise him as long as you praise him. It's not for the audience, it's for you and GOD. they might just help you praise him.

nicole from new york

Posted: January 26th, 2014 9:39 PM

P RAY ABOUT IT..AND GOD W ILL SEND SEND AN ANSWER!!!

Lauren from Brooklyn

Posted: January 26th, 2014 12:18 AM

I am a praise dancer, but I also enjoy modern and jazz. I admit praise dancing is not as complex as modern and jazz, but it really doesn't matter. Praise dancing is a ministry that helps people feel Gods presence. There's been moments where one of the dancers in my praise dance team would start feeling His presence and almost ruin the dance, me being one of them. Never planned. As long as God is happy, someone is being touched, and God accepts and is pleased with my praise, I'm doing my job.

Johnson

Posted: January 13th, 2014 10:00 PM

Coming soon to the West Side: PRAISE TWERING!

NF

Posted: January 13th, 2014 4:12 PM

Realizing that we descended from expressive and rich cultures of the African/Asian continent(s), it still amazes me that many Blacks snub their noses at Voodoo or any other cultural practices that resemble those of that land. How self-righteous have we allowed ourselves to become. How easily we have forgotten parts of our own heritage.

NF from Baltimore

Posted: January 13th, 2014 3:52 PM

The scripture about "judge not lest ye be judged" comes to mind after reading this article. I've seen ppl so called "caught up in the ghost" supposedly being spontaneous as you put it, who I know for a fact stand in the mirror at home and practice their holy dancing steps. Just sayin'. Fake and genuine ppl exist everywhere and that's a fact. Either way, who are we to judge the moat in someone elses eye if/when we've a huge beam in our own?

Lynn from Palmdale

Posted: January 7th, 2014 5:27 PM

As I read other comments, it moved me to suggest that when the music is transitioning, the choir/praise dancers are ministering, and the pastor is delivering the word, the congregation is on FIRE for all the many blessings gifted to them . A praise party for the Lord is taking place. Throughout the book of Psalms it discusses "REJOICING." I will REJOICE and "Turn UP" demonstrating praises of THANK YOU in the form of singing, dancing, and praying. Some people. Simple Minds. Praying for us all !!!

Lynn from Palmdale

Posted: January 7th, 2014 5:07 PM

I am a praise dancer, and choir member. Praise dance to me- is a form of worship in song through movement. True indeed, rehearsals are required to master the movement, but this is so that when the song selected is ministering; the ministry of dance movement is conveyed in such a way that it's felt throughout the congregation or wherever the case might be. There are various ways to praise the Lord, some have the gift of movement in body langue, which doesn't mean that it's not a form of praising.

Chanel

Posted: January 1st, 2014 7:28 AM

This post just sounds so uneducated, all churches I go to praise dance and NOT in a performing way either, so that makes me wonder what type of church you frequent. Not only that, but since I've gotten the Holy Spirit, God leads me into more elaborate dancing when I'm alone. It doesn't always have to be a show. I personally LOVE to see people worship, therefore I love to see the praise dancers. I doesn't matter if you like it or not, it matters what is in that persons heart and their intentions.

Chanel

Posted: January 1st, 2014 7:25 AM

I grew up originally in a church where EVERYONE praise danced. Not in the performing type of way, but as there is music playing EVERYONE dances. There is a difference between praise dancing, and practiced praise dancing. The latter is used to usher the audience into the emotion of the song, and inspires them to dance also. The former, is done daily and ritually at my church. I used to be afraid to praise dance in church, because I can't really dance. Now I do it all the time.

Worship Dancer from NY

Posted: December 18th, 2013 9:43 AM

1. Choir members practice! 2. You need talent to dance. Many people join but are not able to keep up. 3. People have been touched by the praise they see. They cry because they feel God is speaking to them throughout the worship. you can have your opinion and no one will try to change it. just Know, YES in other places dance is NEEDED in the church. God enjoys it because as dancers we feel his Holy Presence! We actually feel the joy, the peace of the Lord. He is happy with my dance and thats all.

DWinner from Portland

Posted: December 5th, 2013 5:59 PM

It sounds to me as though you have not truly experienced true Worship Dance. My congregation does not make a show of worship dance, we are on the side. The suggestion that it does not take talent to "praise dance" is untrue. It takes coordination and grace. I know many athletes who find it challenging. But the fact is that if truly worshiping while dancing you are not trying to draw attention to self but to God. There is a joy while worshiping in dance that I have never found anywhere else.

Bonny Dolly from Battle Ground, WA

Posted: December 5th, 2013 12:29 PM

Comment rules says no insults but there is a great deal in this article. However I will try to stick to the facts here and try to access FB for a more complete writing. This space does not allow for any real commentary. Praise dance started after Red Sea Crossing Exodus 15:20. My congregation does Israeli praise dance [not belly dancing]. We do not dress as your gentleman friend here suggests as we understand many can not control their thought processes. continued on fb

Sparkle from St.Louis

Posted: December 2nd, 2013 2:08 PM

I found this artical laughable God can use who ever and what ever he chooses. If you don't like it that on you not everything is for everyone just like not every woman is for every man but thats why God has created a world full of diversity. Some say praise dance doesn't edify but their are may who would beg to differ some people are visionual and the dance helps them to recieve to message in the song. For others its the dancing its self that is not only a pour into from God but a pouring out

Marian Brittain from Richfield

Posted: November 30th, 2013 2:37 PM

Does anyone recall the Shakers? That was a long time ago. And yet they danced while they worshipped. Perhaps not choreographed/practiced dances but apparently praise dancing nonetheless.

Manuela

Posted: November 21st, 2013 7:30 PM

I was never into praise dancing because I was into actual dancing like ballet, contemporary etc.. and I am good at it. Now, I can either choose to dance for the world, and entertain the world, or I can use it for God and entertain GOD. At the end of the day YOUR opinion does not matter, because the praise dance is not for you, its for GOD. And while it bothers YOU, it pleases GOD. You dont like it? Turn your face the other way. Its all for God, not for you or me. So get over it.

GG from chicago

Posted: November 21st, 2013 1:53 PM

me personally im 23 years old and I would much rather see young girls or boys or women or men in church praise dancing than robbing the church of their aluminum siding or breaking I people cars steal their change or ipads or ipods or whatever valuable they left in the car because they did want to take it in church. so whether it's praise dance or interpretive dance rehearse or not they're doing this unto the lord which may be a way out of trouble for them

Will from chicago

Posted: November 21st, 2013 1:46 PM

I agree with the last young lady each era in time has a different name, time era a place for every thing done on planet earth. and if they did dance back in the biblical times of course it would not have been called praise dancing but they still jumped around spinned around leap in the air at least that's what we've read and those herium girl wore some pretty thin pieces of materials to dance and spin around in to. so it's really not that much of a difference.

renita from chicago

Posted: November 21st, 2013 1:43 PM

I realize everyone has their own opinion and all that's fine but as far as the topic of discussion. Praise Dancing. well I think it's great and when one Is praise dancing what they feel is not rehearsed you can't say I think in the middle of my praise dancing im going to catch the holy ghost something just comes over your mind body soul and entire being and you just loose it. back in the biblical time according to scripture yes people did dance, and sing and jump around but that was then.

Jacquelyn Bennett from Jacksonville

Posted: November 20th, 2013 2:25 PM

I believe that God made mankind and whether we understand one another or not, He does, for HE ALONE searches the hearts of all and truly knows the motives behind all that we say and do...He alone is worthy to judge. To the writer of this article, all I can say to you is some things in life are not to be explained or understood....they can only be experienced.

Sheila from Milwaukee

Posted: November 20th, 2013 1:14 PM

Praise dance looks just like Chakra & Voodoo dance - same moves. It doesn't edify people to worship God (in spirit & truth), but with emotions (& seduction). When dancing/music stops and the preaching starts people talk, sleep, etc. The moves incite some men to lust, while women hide it behind holiness. I do clap, wave hands, stomp feet, etc. during service - by choice not because the Holy Spirit makes me. I'm EXCITED to praise God & His Son, Jesus whom I love. At home too listening to my GoBib

Robin from Bridgeport

Posted: November 20th, 2013 8:38 AM

I was called by God to praise dance and it came to me in my dreams. I dont need to plan a dance, I dont need to see other moves. Once the holy spirit awakes in you due to a song/passage it will come out. Spiritual gifts are not like worldly talents. I think you should separate the two before analyzing them as the same.

Deborah L Scott from Little Rock, AR

Posted: November 19th, 2013 10:55 PM

Praise dancing is not unto the God and Lord Jesus Christ, it is done to an Idol, a goddess, in Paul's day, those people worshipped what they did not know. We as a race of people get so caught up in copying, fanticism and other things that become habits, ungodly habits. The first Commandment, tells us to not have another god and we get so caught up in doing what someone else does, never questioning, never wondering why it had never been done in the church before, just ingorantly worshipping anyt

Dora jamed from mapleshade

Posted: November 12th, 2013 12:00 PM

I disagree with your view on praisedancing. Please do not try to make praisedancing look like its a dirty dance. you can praise God in many ways and dance is one way.every person who dances will not thrust around the church.my team uses sign language and dance and its way harder then cheerleading and they also see Gods people praising him while dancing

veronica

Posted: November 10th, 2013 8:42 AM

I disagree with this article. There are those that have the God given gift of song. Then there are those that have the God given gift of dance. My daughter dances, pointe, ballet, jazz, modern and lyrical. Clearly a God given talent! She has been summoned by my church to dance during youth services or events. I'm sure in the biblical days they did not sing like the choirs sing in church nowadays. So updated dancing applies to the modern day. You must keep the youth involved and encouraged.

Erika

Posted: November 5th, 2013 3:08 PM

When I got in the ninth grade, I told God that I am willing to fully serve him (become a born again Christian). The only thing that was stoping me from becoming born again was dancing. I have been dancing since the age of two. Fast forward, ten years later I was going through some hard times in my life. I decided to give up dancing and become a born again Christian. That is when God introduce me to praise dance. I have been dancing for 13 years. My dancing is a testimony about how God brought me

Briyah from Brooklyn

Posted: November 3rd, 2013 8:06 AM

A person who does not understand the meaning activity has not right to speak/write about it. First Pom-pons takes more talent the cheerleading. Ones needs more technique and the other tumbling. Praise dancing is a way to deliver a word from The Lord, just as preaching. Maybe you should have read the word of God and not asked the general public were dancing for The Lord originated.

Freda from new bern

Posted: October 22nd, 2013 11:56 AM

I am not happy with the immodesty I see in some recent praise dancing. But to rehearse or choreograph the dance I see nothing wrong with that. Any good man of God is getting before the Lord during the week and putting his/her message together. thats a rehearsal. the choir that doesnt rehearse we all know it. yes there is the spontaneous praise of the congregants, for the praise team there of necessity MUST be rehearsal. Jesus loves excellence, discipline, knowledge, understanding, patterns, etc.

Minister Amy Sloan from Emporia

Posted: October 21st, 2013 12:00 PM

thank you for your insight I also think you for your honesty but as the Minister of dance where I'm from most of the time we pull from all different types of dance. we utilize the god-given talents that he gave us from birth and we pour out our Spirit so that God may get the glory. yeah believe me when I say I practice I choreograph and most of all l minister the Word of God through dance. all of the gifts and talents God has given me I have chosen to give the back to the kingdom of God.

Elna

Posted: October 15th, 2013 11:50 AM

I completely agree with Leah! First off, praise dancers don't turn to praise dancing b/c they didn't make it on the cheer-leading team or things of such. Its a form of praise! Just as singing! Instead, body movements are used to illustrate a story, song or testimony, glorifying God. And of course you have to rehearse! You don't just get up and say, "Well, I'm going to give you my best praise Lord!", & start dancing! If its your best, time is put into it! The Holy Spirit moves in rehearsals too!

Sam Ramos from Camuy

Posted: October 6th, 2013 7:35 AM

God bless you xD I completely agree. The excuse I hear many times is that the Jews did it in the old testament, yeah fine that's dandy but they used to do it like you said unplanned and outside of the church as a form of celebration while inside the synagogue they were VERY conserved, serious and calm ??? Also, people are confusing dancing in the spirit with dancing in the body, which are 2 completely different things! Thanks for all of this, good to know there's others! God bless your soul !

Laura

Posted: October 5th, 2013 11:20 AM

The problem is when people look for ways to discourage young people from any form of worshiping God. There are so many things that these young ladies could consume themselves with. I am glad that there are leaders that will give of their time and effort working with these ministries. Perhaps if you were a worshipper you would understand. Also, if you believe that you or anyone else caught the Holy Ghost it was not holy. No one can catch the Holy Ghost, but receive him. Which lives inside.

no name from weslaco

Posted: October 4th, 2013 5:01 AM

Many of us need to pull out our bibles and read the story of Uzzah...the people were "praising" and still this didn't change God's punishment..

Leah

Posted: September 29th, 2013 6:49 PM

You talked about how praise dance is planned but I ask you when a choir sings is that not practice? Or the preacher preaching is that not planned. They did not practice? Truly experienced praise dancers actually don't make up any type of moves they ask God to use them & flow through them to tell the story of the song or show the emotions of the dance. Before writing this you should of ask a experienced praise dancer how do they praise dance before dissing it. For me it is a way I praise the Lord

m brryant from bronx

Posted: September 29th, 2013 6:46 PM

Lady 1st you have racial issues that you need to over come black people may mime and paint their faces but they are not trying to emulate white people, they are trying to mimic a dance art form .the white paint is so that your expressions can be clearly seen it has nothing to do with race .unlike the minstrel show that was totally mocking black people it started back in 1828.it mocked plantation workers. If the churches were miming to mimic white people i would totally support your stance.

Kristy dye from Columbus

Posted: September 26th, 2013 9:24 PM

People can praise God anyway them n the spirit see fit! I'm sure Hodx glorified that someone's doing it still in this evil day instead of printing articles and debating on how it should be done. I guess this ignorant person probably don't know that the bible says if you walk ion his ways n follow his commands that he won't blot your name out if the book of life. Buddy I think u have other things that should be consuming your time! Go read Gods word yourself n debate with him over what he wrote!

Kristy from Columbus

Posted: September 26th, 2013 9:16 PM

Who hath the mind of Christ?the natural man receiveth not the things of the spirit for he is spiritually ignorant. Just for the ignorant:when God sees man he doesn't see color! God is God n he can move through whomever however he chooses . No it didn't specify what kind of dance they did in the bible bc he didn't and don't care as long as it glorifies him! Whom are you oh man? He named so many ways to praise that he just wants someone willing to do it ! Old testament ,new? God always same !

added to the church from bishopville

Posted: September 25th, 2013 4:30 PM

If we allow praise dancing then that would mean that we can allow the sacrifice of lambs as a form of praise. No difference.

Added to the Church from Bishopville

Posted: September 25th, 2013 4:20 PM

There is no New Testament example or command to dance in Church, or during worship. Singing is commanded, dancing is not. The term is called "Praise Dancing" but I hear no praise in any dance. Look up the word "praise". Dancing can only be discerned by God and everyone else sits down and watches. Also this IS predominant in black churches and is done predominantly by black women in tight clothes. Bring the church into the world, don't bring the world into the church. It is best left out.

Sarah from Commerce

Posted: September 15th, 2013 3:35 PM

I have been an active member/ leader on our churches dance team for almost eight years. I have always been a dancer. You are always entitled to your opinion however this is mine. I never knew true worship until it came out of me in the form of dance. And yes some dance is organized but the emotions and the worship that comes with it IS NOT. You can practice a song time after time and still get that moment of worship. Why not dance? To see souls saved and families CHANGED.I know it is real.

Bible Man

Posted: September 8th, 2013 10:14 PM

This post is 100% opinion. There are no scriptures to support your opinion. We are to test everything with the Word of God. Last time i check the bible was filled with scriptures about dance. Psalm 149:3 "Let them praise his name with dancing, making melody to him with tambourine and lyre!" Psalm 150:4 "Praise him with tambourine and dance, praise him with strings and pipe." 2 Samuel 6:14  "And David danced before the Lord with all And David was wearing a linen ephod." just to name a few.

Pat from Peachtree City

Posted: August 27th, 2013 2:17 AM

We MINISTER: unto GOD, not People. We "Set" the Atmosphere" for GOD's Presence. Members are 18 - 60+ yrs; We FAST12 Hrs Prior To Ministering; We "Set Ourselves Apart" from Activities, Phone, Social Media, to Present Ourselves Correctly Before GOD! Our Garments are cared for Appropriately to Receive the HOLY SPIRIT. Movements are given by GOD & We're Appropriately COVERED, GIRDED UP/Prayed Up for HIS Service. May GOD Be Glorified! NEVER Judge the Power GOD has to Use Anyone - including You!

Phil from KCK

Posted: August 25th, 2013 5:26 PM

My point was, for a street kid or spoiled yuppie senses Heaven revolves around him/her at worship, why not "the world"?

Phil from KCK

Posted: August 25th, 2013 4:52 PM

There's an old Catholic saying, practically, that says the way you prayer is the way u believe. If your church's worship style involves fun sounds, clergy joking around&other adlibbing in a chatty style, clapping 4 someone's accomplishment, someone singing in a pop style, someone dancing etc.worship has become 4 the people. The liturgy is 4 the people, but 4 their souls 2 B led to Jesus; not 4 the flesh in a mundane nature. Also, Scripture says 2 worship not in a noticeable way.

Gray Hare

Posted: August 24th, 2013 9:25 AM

My 2-cents is, it is part of the entertainment now. That is what many churches have become: An entertainment center!!! I cringe when I see someone say on FB, "The music was sooooo good today at my church!!!" These larger and mega churches no longer sing the older, more liturgical type hymns, which were prayers. Now they sing the easy to sing praise songs that are repetitive. (AND are projected on a large screen.) They have to do this to draw crowds.....Entertainment!!!

search unfoldthehiddentruth from sarasota

Posted: August 9th, 2013 11:21 PM

the bible say in Isaiah 28:10, line upon line and precept upon precept, is David our example or Jesus Christ? 2nd do you know how David danced? 3rd did he danced to slow jazz or even hippop? did the disciples of Jesus Christ danced as we are dancing today? "for God is not a God of disorder" doing Jesus ministry on earth what was he doing? and what is he doing now in heaven? Ephesians 4:14,15 says beware of false teachers. {you shall know the truth and be set freed, call 888-484-1248

Antashe

Posted: August 3rd, 2013 10:17 AM

I am the leader of the Praise Dance Ministry at my church. Please focus on the word MINISTRY. Just as a singer uses their talents to sing, musicians uses their talents to play instruments, their are those who use their talent to dance before the Lord as ministry. I teach young ladies that our bodies are a living sacrifice onto the Lord and with respect to God (in decency & in order) we worship him in the dance. I also mentor the young ladies through this platform.

Pathetic priorities

Posted: August 2nd, 2013 10:31 PM

Seriously, WHO CARES about some dancing? IT'S DANCING. There are other things in your community a lot more worthy for getting up in arms about. How about the fact that it's pretty much an open drug market. That gang's armed to the teeth run the streets, most of them your children. How about parents that can't or won't raise their kids with proper values? How about people who won't speak up when kids get murdered? etc... There are a 1000 things more important than some DANCING!

Becky

Posted: August 2nd, 2013 3:13 AM

Why do you say Black people when you are talking about this? Could you not be any more rude? Or racist? I am sure that there are people out of line, but praising God with dance can be a very beautiful thing. It depends on the heart of the person doing it. Just like in every other facet of worship! Dancing in the Bible was not always unplanned either.

Brittany from Little Rock

Posted: July 29th, 2013 3:45 PM

I am 23 and am both a praise dancer and a choreographer. I have been doing both since I as a kid. When I dance alone, I don't choreograph as much but when I'm working with younger kids I have to. I want to properly train them in their gift so that they will use it and their instrument in a honorable and favorable way for God. Please do not be quick to trust in what you see alone for our earthly minds cannot always process that which God has ordained.

Silly

Posted: July 23rd, 2013 12:12 AM

It's amazing... shootings and murders in Austin, and not more than a couple of people have opinions or comments in these comment sections... But when it comes to dancing in church, you get more than 40 comments with heated debates. I guess we know where the priorities of the community lays.

Joanne from NY

Posted: July 18th, 2013 8:31 PM

P.S. Watch your tone... this isn't a "black" thing. Praise Dancing can be found throughout many denominations & churches. If you knew anything about praise dancing, there are people actually putting in the "concerted effort" you mentioned. Watch a praise dance closely & see if you don't detect techniques that are hard to master. You may went to reread your contradictions. According to you, praise dancing should be a skillful talent but why if it's for God & not people's enjoyment?

Joanne from NY

Posted: July 18th, 2013 8:22 PM

(continued) You mention dancing in biblical times may have just been a hop or skip, but I'm sure singing back then didn't involve runs and adlibs like it does today either. As far as the black people comment they are miming. Mime involved white face paint. No need to change the color because of their skin tone. Irrelevant point! There are different ways to praise & show emotion. If someone can be touched by a ministry, God's work is done. Stop judging, you should know that..it's in the Bible ;)

Joanne from NY

Posted: July 18th, 2013 8:18 PM

It's always the people who know nothing about something that have so much to say. I'm sorry but you're wrong. You do not know what's in someone's heart when they're ministering. You compared praise dancing to singing saying that is actual talent but there are singers out there that do it for show. Praise Dance may be choreographed just like choirs that have rehearsals to perfect a song. I get my inspiration for the moves through devotion & listening to the lyrics in the song.

Jacqueline Roberts from 204 Tree Swallow Dr

Posted: July 8th, 2013 10:54 PM

I think it's obivious that you don't appreciate Praise dancing. That's too bad.You're missing out on something wonderful!

Garry from Bridgeport

Posted: July 6th, 2013 8:05 PM

Dancing is not a "gift." It's a talent. Gifts are outlined in the scriptures, and dancing isn't one of them. I agree and think its a salient point about putting on white face. Nevertheless, I'm not a fan of it either. Yes David danced..but so did Herodias' daughter, and a man's head was cut off behind hers. Nevertheless talent has eclipsed anointing, hence the "out of order-ness" permeating many churches. Talent says "look at me." Anointing says look at GOD.

Kirsten from Cary

Posted: July 6th, 2013 2:09 PM

Luke 10:26-28 New International Version (NIV) 26 "What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?" 27 He answered, "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'[a]; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'[b]" 28 "You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live."

Rika

Posted: June 24th, 2013 9:48 PM

Movements in praise dancing should not accentuate any body part. That is out of order.

Rika

Posted: June 24th, 2013 9:44 PM

We are not taught to dance for our benefit or our praise and worship. But in decency and order, we usher in the presence, just as singers do. They don't swear in songs, as we shouldn't have skin or shape showing. Messages of peace, fighting for God, His undying love, standing through the storm or anything else goes forth. God can use any gift to do His work. When some don't respond to one way, there are other forms of ministry that can bring them to Him. That's where dance fits.

Rika

Posted: June 24th, 2013 9:33 PM

Think of it like a pastor preaching. When he gives his message, it's not for his benefit usually, but for the congregation. Praise dancing is spreading God's word through dance. In regards to outfits, I agree most ministries are out of order. Garments are not to be form fitting or revealing, but cover the entire person from neck to feet, loose and in layers. It is a spiritual gift. Just as everyone can't preach, everyone can't praise dance.

The Anointed One

Posted: June 21st, 2013 7:10 PM

I am Anointed by God to Minister to his people through Dance and it is nothing wrong with that. Stop judging the gift that God has blessed people with, that is not your place for those who believe its wrong.!!!

DJ from Houston

Posted: June 21st, 2013 7:03 PM

People are quick to judge others as they so humbly do the work of God. In which they should not. No individual is in a position to judge because come judgment day they don't have a heaven or hell to place any one in. Praise Dance is a gift from God. God has blessed each of us with a gift and its up to you to find out what your gift or calling is and not be-little or criticize those who are actually utilizing the gift they have been blessed with.

DJ from Houston

Posted: June 21st, 2013 6:54 PM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Praise Dancing in the Church. Actually it is called Ministering to God's people through dance. If you look in the bible it will tell you how David danced out of his clothes. Ministering to God and his people through dance is not a rehearsal thing it is a God given gift. I thank him for blessing me with the gift for over 20 years now. And I choreograph them as well.

Grace from New York

Posted: June 20th, 2013 11:48 PM

I read both articule and the comments. I still cannot understand why people took offense? We say we have the Love of Jesus, but do we? If some one came to Jesus with this articule, will he have been rude to them and act the way we are acting? will he have love them and show them the love of the Father insted? Worshiping Is being pure hearted and allowing Jesus Christ to enter and live in us. Worship is not how much we dance or sing, its how much we let God works in us and through us. Be Blessed

dayvon

Posted: June 20th, 2013 11:15 AM

I am trained in ballet, modern,jazz and tap.I praise dance because I am a Dancer and Dancing is my talent. My toes have bleed and I have broken some bones, but guess what it wasn't in a studio it in church while I was giving my all to praise the lord wit my talent...God Bless

Brenda from Lancaster

Posted: June 16th, 2013 8:26 AM

Is it any wonder African-Americans are STILL at the lower economic scale? Why are we discussing something intangible as Praise Dance? Why are we not discussing ideas that would create jobs? "Great minds discuss ideas, small minds discuss things [other people]." It's a personal choice where you worship; sounds to me like those who dislike praise dance are stuck in the past or not open to new ideas. Find any book in the Bible and show me where Praise Dance is against GOD's will! Yall got issues!!!

Le Jeune from Detroit

Posted: June 11th, 2013 7:47 AM

did you know that most praise dancers dance without pratice. They dance while the Praise singers sing. It's all based on their feelings for the Lord through the music of lifiting his name. Amen

Daddy's Love from Florida

Posted: June 9th, 2013 6:10 PM

2 Timothy 2:14 (AMP) | 14 Remind [the people] of these facts and [solemnly] charge them in the presence of the Lord to avoid petty controversy over words, which does no good but upsets and undermines the faith of t Titus 3:8-11 (MSG) 8-11 I want you to put your foot down. Take a firm stand on these matters so that those who have put their trust in God will concentrate on the essentials that are good for everyone. Stay away from mindless, pointless quarreling over geneal

Christie Leigh from Owingsville

Posted: June 5th, 2013 12:12 PM

I praise dance. The Lord is my Choreographer. It is His call if there is one or more. He gives me the song, the movements, whether or not to use flags. I do not believe there should be tight clothing of any kind or hip thrusting. There should be nothing to draw attention to the dancer. The whole purpose is to glorify God. If you have seen things that draw your attention to the dancer then you have a right to question but not all praise dancers do this. My church would not allow it.

Praise from Tampa

Posted: June 2nd, 2013 3:13 PM

Be encouraged Arlene and stick with the scriptures. Don't detour from the word of God neither change with the times. God is the same today, yesterday, and forever.

Aaron

Posted: May 29th, 2013 10:21 PM

Hey, I am a 15 year old evangelist and am a Pentecostal. I do believe in praise dancing to a point. I dont think that anyone should practice dancing at home cause then it makes me think that they are doing it for themselves more than God.(unless it is a praise team cause that is a different thing) I do believe that when the Holy Ghost comes down on someone that they would dance in the spirit as praise to God. Like i said i am just 15, i have danced as praise,but i didn't plan it. God bless!!

Praise Dancer

Posted: May 29th, 2013 7:21 PM

Um . I danced my way into the holy spirit . Its a gift from god. Honestly yes it is choreographed but when you dance honestly alone it changes.. There is a difference between praise dance and just dancing . When you minister in dance is as alike as ministering with word .. Think about that .. And im only 15

Rey from Miami

Posted: May 20th, 2013 1:38 AM

Protestants are FUNNY! And they say that us Catholics who ask for intercession from the Blessed Mother and Saints takes away from Christ.....so exactly what does praise dancing do?

Katina from Greensboro, NC

Posted: May 15th, 2013 5:01 AM

Your article is just laced with division:( You are entitled to your opinion so I will not argue with you. However the final line of your article was just too much! ALL mimes regardless of their race paint their faces white!

Kris from New Orleans

Posted: May 12th, 2013 6:47 PM

You are correct in that many praise dancers aren't formally trained ballerinas, but I'm not sure how that's relevant. I'm formally trained by NO Ballet Association and I've danced, coached, & choreographed pieces (including cheerleading) in various genres for years. As my faith grew so did my love for ministry in dance. I must say, you sound very ignorant, and I'm not sure what your goal for writing this is. If your words are not uplifting, they are evil and of no use to the Kingdom.

Kris from New Orleans

Posted: May 12th, 2013 6:38 PM

eddie green from west palm beach

Posted: May 8th, 2013 11:04 AM

Thereva huge different between praise dancing and minstering in dance. Anyone can praise dance but only those with the gift can minster in dance. Either way they all are minsting to the Glory of God. We must first understand that any time we are worshiping or praising that God isu who we are glorifing. You will never understand praise dance until you come in tact with a minster of dance then u will see and understand the difference. Youtube eddie green and 4ever praise. There many type of danc

Jayla Tamsen from Los Angeles

Posted: May 4th, 2013 5:04 AM

Zephaniah 3:14-17 is one of the most surprising texts in the whole bible! What does God do when we worship? "The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing." "Alaz," translated "rejoice" means to jump for joy. To exult! Very demonstrative! Emotional! So you can say My God DANCES over me!!! Hallelujah!

Renny Diamond

Posted: May 3rd, 2013 7:30 AM

Check out ASCENSION Dance.

Molly from Chicago

Posted: May 1st, 2013 3:38 PM

Kp's comments were ignorant, rude and uneducated.

Igor from Chicago

Posted: May 1st, 2013 3:36 PM

Arlene's article rocks!

Kp from Memphis

Posted: April 30th, 2013 7:22 PM

Your article was very ignorant, rude & uneducated. Dance comes from cultures/history. Ballet is not the only form of dance &the typical form &setting of church services today are not found in the Bible, does that make it wrong? No! We praise Jesus by any means! Sometimes words dont express what we are truly feeling. Even though they may be planned its the same feelings/praise to God. Praying that you really understand&desire to understand other cultures. Different isnt wrong its just different.

Apostle Deborah

Posted: April 29th, 2013 11:50 PM

May God increase you with the enrich study of His word. May He favorably shine down with outpouring of great blessings. May musicians come forth in praise and worship, aspiring to play in harmony and unity through the labors of dedicated hours of practice. May praise dance teams dance in unity before their King, Jesus Christ. May He see their hearts as they pour sweet smelling sacrifice of praise in adoration to Him. Fine tuned instruments of praise giving Him all the Glory ....

Alishia from Folsom

Posted: March 27th, 2013 5:57 PM

I think you are a hipocrite and what is the problem with planned praise dancing when people are in church and supposivley catch the Holy Ghost sometimes it is planned just so people can get attention!! I am a praise dancer and i am very young. Most of my dances come from my heart if I know the song I make up dance moves.In your opening paragraph you referred to us as black people we are african american. So i think there is no problem with praise dances people can praise God with a praise dance!

Tonya from Dallas

Posted: March 25th, 2013 1:45 PM

All of you need to read your bibles. God did not, have not and does not AUTHORIZE "SO CALLED" PRAISE DANCING IN HIS HOUSE. PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT TRY AND USE THE OLD TESTAMENT OF PSALMS. IF YOU DO, YOU MIGHT AS WELL INCORPORATE THE SACRIFICING OF ANIMALS AS WELL. DONT PICK AND CHOOSE WHAT TYPE OF SERVICE GOD WANT YOU TO HAVE. THE NEW TESTAMENT SAYS IT ALL. BE CAREFUL HOW YOU THINK YOUR SENDING PRAISES TO GOD. DONT GIVE HIM SOMETHING HE DID NOT ASK FOR. I AM SHARING THIS FROM THE HEART.

Tierra from Dayton

Posted: March 25th, 2013 12:01 PM

Praise dancing is fine. You are worshipping God ! Hint the word PRAISE. You don't understand the concept. They are not thrusting or doing anything secular. They are dancing for God. And so what if they are dressed like mimes? What's the problem ? Idk the author of this article but you seem prejudice or biased. God gave people the talent to praise dance. It's a beautiful thing ! I hope I changed your perspective in praise dancing.

audrey from miami

Posted: March 21st, 2013 9:16 AM

i believe you wanted a response from what you have written. maybe to insight thought.. i think you know the answer already to praise dance. i think its like preaching in motion. the pastor plans and write out his sermon based on inspiration from the Holy Spirit. so the same with a person who ministers in dance. i hope God encounters your heart with the revelation you so desire. I pray for the eyes of your understanding to be opened.

Baleeia Baker from Camden, NJ

Posted: March 20th, 2013 9:24 AM

Word allowance will not allow me to clarify many issue you have. Largely it is your lack of understanding of what true praise dance/worship dance is. There is a lot of mess out there true. Also, I would not consider cheerleading a talent either, just doing the same thing over and over again. You can train a chimp and get the same results. In any case. I would be happy to email you better understanding of "praise dance"

Nina from Gary

Posted: March 18th, 2013 11:29 AM

Most of the time people criticize because they don't understand. Praise dancing like anything else must be done with decency and order. God calls those to dance for Him for several reasons: (1) to get rid of what is holding them (2) dance because the person is so hurt (3) spiritual warfare (4) to set the atmosphere before the word, etc. Everything the enemy uses was created by God first. If the world can dance, why can't there be dancing in the church. Some dances are prophetically done.

PraiseDancerForLife

Posted: March 14th, 2013 6:15 PM

When I say Gods, I mean many Gods, because there are many ways to Heaven

PraiseDancerForLife

Posted: March 14th, 2013 1:33 PM

It's obvious that you have not studied the word of God for yourself. Nor do you have an existing active relationship with Christ. If you did, you would know that he is delighted with the heart filled praises of his children, and it would delight you as well. Read Gods word, and build your relationship with him, only then will he send you the spirit of discernment to help you understand what is pleasing in his sight. Are you saved? Or are you just an unbeliever who is spectating in Gods house?

Toni from Houston

Posted: March 11th, 2013 11:50 PM

I didn't read the fullness of your misinformed article. I am black, I'm one of the originals Praise dancers in the state of Texas. I have had ballet and tap and jazz and modern dance experience. I also have done gymnastic for over 15 years. Just because you never heard of it doesn't meant it just came out. Pageantry which is a part of praise dance start I the book of Genesis. Check your information before you assume anything.

Caroline

Posted: February 8th, 2013 11:29 AM

I think your concern is nothing more than a preference. Praise dance is a way for people to glorify God with their bodies, and with their talents. It is also another way to communicate the Gospel because a lot of the movements are ASL. If someone has a heart to dance for God-whats the problem?