The logic of firing Mayor Rahm

Opinion: Arlene Jones

By Arlene Jones

Columnist

Growing up, I wasn't a gigantic fan of Star Trek. But one of the most mystifying moments for me was when Mr. Spock would label something as not being "logical." That was a very mysterious and scary term for me. I had no clue what it meant. Contextually, the word and premise were foreign to me. "Logic" was weird, strange, something they taught in college — thus it had to be beyond my comprehension.

Then I went to school and learned computer programming, which is "logic" in overdrive. Nothing teaches a person logic like a program that had abended (abnormally ended) due to a flaw in the "logic."

In retrospect, I would define "logic" as "common sense." Like if you walk in doggie doo, you'll smell like crap. If you elect a mayor who screwed up as chief of staff at the White House, he'll screw up the city as mayor.

I have never been a supporter of the current mayor. I dislike him so much that I try never to say his name. He is the biggest farce since the Emperor's New Clothes. He attempts to give the impression that he cares, but his eyes are like a shark — soulless and dead.

Yet if someone could read anything into them, the man is as cunning as a fox. For only a creature who knows his prey would be as logical as the current mayor to announce before an upcoming election that he is going to lay off teachers and support staff due to declining enrollment.

Wait a second! Mr. Red "X" man, who is tearing down every building he can in the black neighborhoods; Mr. Red-Light Camera man, who runs them and doesn't pay while the average citizen has to cough up the fines; Mr. Speed Camera man, who wants folks to drive slowly past schools he will be closing and by parks where drive-bys keeps kids out of them; who has to try and get re-elected. But he's not worried because he is already filling his back pockets with jack-legged preachers who will sell out the community for their 20 pieces of silver to guarantee four more years of focused destruction of black neighborhoods.

Logic says if you destroy 20,000 units of public housing and replace it with 200, you will lose people.

It isn't often mentioned that the mayor's children don't attend public school. Logic says, "what's good for the goose is good for the gander," except when you want to make sure that certain children remain undereducated. If the mayor's children are getting a wonderful education, why isn't he finding a similar model for everyone else's children other than subjecting our children to the "experimental charter school" model of education?

One of the things to be very careful of is "flawed" logic. Like the one that says the person with millions in the bank is the one who will win. Don't tell that to Eric Cantor. He had $5 million and lost to the man who spendt less than $200,000. The secret? Voters who vote!

The 2015 mayoral election is Tuesday, Feb. 24. It is a one-shot deal: Whoever gets 50% of the vote plus one is the winner. Every Chicagoan needs to make sure that everyone in their household is registered to vote and that everyone shows up on Election Day and does for the mayor what he is doing to teachers and other school employees: Fire him like he is firing them!

Reader Comments

14 Comments - Add Your Comment

Comment Policy

Rudy from Chicago

Posted: July 7th, 2014 8:17 PM

In Chicago, Cook County, rest of Illinois and elsewhere, "every" Democratic politician will support Rahm. Does this mean that the anti-Rahm crowd is willing to vote out Debbie Graham, Emmie Mitts, Toni Preckwinkle, Pat Quinn, etc.?

Caseyt CT Tee

Posted: July 7th, 2014 9:19 AM

How is it that Terry Peterson, a black man (at least in skin tone), gets a pass on his pivotal role in tearing down the projects ?

Jeremy Lofton from Chicago

Posted: July 7th, 2014 1:52 AM

Did you know Rahm was once a commisioner on the CHA board when all thos buildings were torn down and he voted to "yes" to see to that happening? Now he's mayor and he over saw 65+ schools closed in the black and brown community. Can you see the pattern here? If Rahm weasle his way back in for another 4 years the black and brown community will get hit the hardest. That's why I will be supporting Frederick Collins for Mayor. Mr .Collins will win this race on the night of February 24,2015.

Jeremey Lofton from Chicago

Posted: July 7th, 2014 1:43 AM

I've read all the comments on this page and I respect everyone's opinion. I expect people will respect mine as well, but the author of this piece is right. We as Chicago voters have one shot at this and it does not matter if Mr. Emanuel has 1 billion in the bank, once people are tired of you and they want you out money can't change that. Yes! Mr. Eric Cantor spent millions of dollars to defend his seat in congress to a unknown college professor who spent about $125,000. The people was tired.

Ellen from Chicago

Posted: July 6th, 2014 11:43 PM

Great article! To clarify one point is that, we bring up the fact that Rham's children attend the private school, University of Chicago Lab School, all the time. There was even a rally on the steps of the school last spring. It is the same school that the Obama girls went to when living in Chicago. Arne Duncan also attended this school when he was growing up in Chicago. Rham has done nothing except destroy our city piece by piece since he took office. Feb. 24, 2015, he will be fired!

JP Paulus from CHicago

Posted: July 6th, 2014 9:54 PM

i'm offended. Starting off with a Star Trek metaphor, and yet NOT calling Chicago the Rahmulan Empire???

Bob Simpson from Oak Park

Posted: July 6th, 2014 9:26 PM

I live in nearby Oak Park, but I wish you all the best in ridding Chicago of this menace. He wants to,push working class people of color out of the city. It's ethnic cleansing by social and economic policy.

Lizbrown from Chicago

Posted: July 6th, 2014 9:21 PM

Truth. Rahm won with 20% of registered voters. REGISTER and VOTE -- and check out your alderman. Is there a challenger? If yes, and your ald needs to go (aka rubber stamper), volunteer with that challenger. Now is the time everyone!

Jim Allen from Chiraq

Posted: July 5th, 2014 2:30 AM

I will do everything in my power to see that the author of this article gets fired. And yes I support Rahm

Eric Masterson

Posted: July 3rd, 2014 7:53 PM

I AM WHITE AND I AM VOTING TO RE-ELECT THE HANDSOME AND INTELLIGENT RAHM EMANUEL!

Rudy from Chicago

Posted: July 2nd, 2014 8:06 PM

Electing another Democratic mayor will bring fifty more years of the same to Austin. :(

Me from Chicago

Posted: July 2nd, 2014 9:05 AM

Everyone should copy and post this article, and pass it out to every person standing at the bus stop paying more for less, and then take it and pass it out to all those teachers and their students, who just lost their only way of surviving life in the city of Chicago, take it and go to city hall traffic courts and stand outside and give them each person who has to pay out their hard earn money to a city that doesn't work fairly for its citizens. Please go FIRE EMMANUEL WITH YOUR VOTE!

Milly from Chicago

Posted: July 2nd, 2014 8:51 AM

I have grown to dislike even the name of the man. I pray that everyone who is voting age will wake up, open their eyes and get this man out of office. You can't tell me that there is not one black person in the entire city of Chicago that can run and win against this man , but guess what, if the voter turn out is like it normally is, we h ave to stomach this man for several more years. To all you people to lazy to take yourselves to your voting place, you deserve what you get, period!

jan

Posted: July 2nd, 2014 5:26 AM

Amen!!!

Quick Links

Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Austin and Garfield Park.

AdvertiseClassifieds