West-side Violence and Substance Abuse Prevention Day
Bridging the Inter-generational Gaps – To Promote a Safe and Drug-free Community
Monday, October 6th, 2014 at 6:00PM Sharp
Allison Foundation for Better Living, 4540 West Washington, Blvd., Chicago
The West Garfield Park Community Stakeholders, theWest Garfield Park Youth Council, Fathers Who Care and other West-side Partners will host a MAJOR collaborative event to Engage, Empower and Enlighten the community. Together, we can Promote a Safe and Drug-free Community, while Bridging the Inter-generational Gaps, and reduce Underage Drinking, Substance Abuse and senseless violence!
We would like to officially thank those who have assisted us in securing Proclamations, Resolutions and Support Letters from the President of the United States Barack Obama, Congressman Danny K. Davis, Governor of the State of Illinois Pat Quinn, Representative Lashawn Ford, Representative Derrick Smith, Senator Kimbery Lightford, City of Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, Clerk of the Circuit Court of Cook County Dorothy Brown, County Board President Toni Preckwinkle, selected Cook County Board Commissioners Robert Steele, Earlean Collins and Alderman/Committee Jason Ervin. For assisting us in Proclaiming October 06, 2014, as West-side Violence and Substance Abuse Prevention Day.
- Welcome / Greetings / Meeting Dates and House-Keeping – Rev. Walter Jones, Project Director
- Prayer by Rev. David Whittley, Co-Chairman
6:10pm – 6:15pm:
- Introduction of M.C. Dr. Ahmad Djangi, Co-Chairman
- Rules of Engagement and Time Schedule,Thank You to participants and volunteers
- Overview of Community Day (To Enlighten, Engage and Empower our Community)
- Mission and Purpose: Establish and strengthen collaboration among communities, public and private non-profit agencies, federal, state, local, and tribal governments to support the efforts of community coalitions working to prevent and reduce substance use among youth and, over time, among adults by addressing the factors in a community that increase the risk of substance abuse and promoting the factors that minimize the risk.
- Presentation by Bennie Lee – Why Young People Engage in Violence
- Presentation by David Elam – Things You Should Know, That Young People Know
- Presentation by Victor Nezarez – Underage Drinking and Substance Abuse
- Presentation by Dr. Rashad Saafir – The Effects and Treatments for Substance Abuse
- Presentation by Niecy Williams – Spoken Word to Encourage Young People
- Presentation by Rev. Walter Jones – Proclamations, Resolutions, Support Letters and Special Tributes
- Presentation by Sgt. Allen – Laws and Ordinances Against Underage Drinking and Substance Abuse
- Drum Call by Vicky Scaman and the Steckman Studio of Music
- Award Ceremony for the West Garfield Park Community Stakeholders
- Presentation by David Elam – Community Empowerment Gathering – The Charge: How Can We Become Active in Changing Our Community? Are There Any Support Systems Available To Us?Open Comments and Announcements. Rfequest to join Our Coalition to Save our Children and Community
- Closing Prayer for Peace and Comfort in Our Community