[AustinTalks] An Oak Park man wants to bring the performing arts to urban communities throughout Chicago including Austin.
Daryl Satcher, a professional actor, director, writer and teacher, is staging his play – “Mr. Mars Meets Ms. Venus” – at the ESO Theater 5401-03 W. Madison.
The play, which takes the audience on a journey from the battle of the sexes to the battle within, ends this coming weekend.
Besides Satcher, the play, which was co-written with Tresalyn Bray, stars Camille Cadenhead, Dana Chaifeuy, Robert Hardaway, Randle Michael and Deja Anderson Ross.
It’s being staged at the only theater in Austin, though Chicago has over 200 small theater companies, according to the League of Chicago Theaters.
Satcher’s passion for theater has inspired him to bring the arts to Chicago neighborhoods that lack the resources for performing arts programs found in other parts of the city.
“I knew when I did my next play I wanted to do a play on the West Side of Chicago,” Satcher said. “From the exact moment I walked in I knew this was the right space for me. It wasn’t perfect, but at the same time it was perfect for me; it was like God spoke to my heart.”
Tickets are still available for “Mr. Mars Meets Ms. Venus,” with final performances slated for 7:3o p.m. Oct. 21st and 22nd. The box office for ESO Theater, 5401 W. Madison, is open 5 to 8 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday
Chicago ward early voting starts Oct. 24
[Chicago Board of Elections] Starting Oct. 24 and continuing through Nov. 7, early voting will be offered at 15 W Washington St. and the 50 ward sites.
- Mon., Oct. 24 through Sat., Oct. 29: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Sun., Oct. 30: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Mon., Oct. 31 through Fri., Nov. 4: 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Sat., Nov. 5: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Sun., Nov. 6: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Mon., Nov. 7: 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Locations for (all open on Oct. 24):
- 24th Ward residents: Douglass Library, 3353 W. 13th St.
- 28th Ward residents: West Side Learning Center, 4624 W. Madison
- 29th Ward residents: Amundsen Park, 6200 W Bloomingdale
- 37th Ward residents: West Chicago Library, 4856 W. Chicago
For more voting information, visit http://www.chicagoelections.com/en/early-voting.html.