It was that time again-the Austin Green Team's annual garden tour, second Saturday of August.
The Austin Green Team wanted to make sure they could publicly thank Loretto Hospital for the mini-bus and bus operator Michael Barnes. The tour departed from 185 N. Lavergne and ended at George Lawson's beautiful garden at 321 N. Lamon.
The tour itinerary:
- Mr. Meeks' Garden, 4900 W. West End
- Memorial Garden, Washington and Laramie
- Peace in the Valley Garden, 168 N. Laramie
- Paradise & Austin Sculpture Garden, 656 & 658 No. Latrobe
- Thomas Garden, 5300 W. Thomas
- Vision on Menard Garden and yard, 5800 West Division
- Mrs. Williams' Backyard, 1249 N. Mayfield
- Donna's Backyard, 5709 W. Midway Park
- Unity Garden, 5102 West Fulton
- Mr. Lawson's Garden, 321 N. Lamon
Mrs. Cora Williams' "backyard" on West Mayfield is a wonder to behold. One of her creative accessories are old shoes, which she turned into flower beds.
If awards were given for growing the best tomato plants, George Lawson would win hands down, although Donna Kanapes certainly gave him a run for the title. Donna has been a longtime member of the Green Team, but this year she had to sit out the tour because of a broken toe. Also, Mrs. Peery's husband usually is on hand, but he has been ill this year. Another successful tour, congratulations to all the Green Team members:
Mary Peery, president; George Lawson, vice president; Vera Watson, secretary; Irma Ferba, treasurer; Lakesha Kneeland, director of children affairs; Donna Kanapes, Ellen Newcomer, Willie Ferba, Joe Peery, Mattie Holmes, Rose McNutt, Cora Williams, Bennie Meeks, Vivian Reed, J.B. Carr, Bessie Lucky, Missouri Grave, Julie Samuels, Aliiyhoo B. Yisrael