Eleven Austin public schools will see an increase in their 2021-22 budgets, while two others will see no increase or a drop.
Chicago Public Schools released its $6.9 billion operating budget earlier this year, with district officials noting that nearly 95% of its campuses will see a budget increase next year. School-level budgets make up about 60% of the district’s operating budget, according to Chalkbeat.
The Chicago Sun-Times reported that 94% of schools — 482 of 513 — will see increases in their budgets, in large part due to $70 million in federal coronavirus relief funding — “an initial drop in the bucket from nearly $3 billion the district received through three bills passed by Congress last year.”
The budgets released in April identify how much money each principal will be given to spend at their school. A districtwide, centralized budget will be released this summer and include money for building renovations and other special projects, according to the Sun-Times.
Here’s a list of Austin schools’ operating budgets, as announced earlier this spring:
- Austin College and Career Academy High School: Number of students 2020-21: 235 FY2021 Total: $3,040,164 FY2022 Total: $3,189,064 % Change: 4.89%
- George Rogers Clark Elementary School: # of Students 2020-21: 182 FY2021 Total: $2,593,369 FY2022 Total: $2,724,642 % change: 5.06%
- Michele Clark Academic Prep Magnet High School: # of students: 524 FY2021 Total: $6,085,957 FY2022 Total: $6,213,557 % Change: 2.09%
- Oscar DePriest Elementary School: # of students: 483 FY2021 Total: $6,065,827 FY2022 Total: $6,195,427 % change: 2.13%
- Frederick A. Douglass Academy High School: # of students: 50 FY2021 Total: $1,458,080 FY2022 Total: $1,458,080 % change: 0%
- Edward K Ellington Elementary School: # of students: 432 FY2021 Total: $5,081,316 FY2022 Total: $5,149,116 % change: 1.33%
- Julia Ward Howe Elementary School: # of students: 376 FY2021 Total: $3,898,099 FY2022 Total: $3,973,827 % change: 1.94%
- George Leland Elementary School: # of students: 366 increase in enrollment FY2021 Total: $4,329,978 FY2022 Total: $4,349,149 % change: 0.4%
- Spencer Technology Academy: # of students: 437 FY2021 Total: $4,329,978 FY2022 Total: $4,394,861 % change: 1.49%
- Ella Flagg Young Elementary School: # of students: 589 FY2021 total: $5,982,697 FY2022: $6,096,383 % change: 1.91%
- Brunson Math & Science Specialty School: # of students: 413 FY2021 Total: $4,304,379 FY2022 Total: $4,304,379 % change: 0%
- Leslie Lewis Elementary School: # of students: 454 FY2021 Total: $4,356,771 FY2022 Total: $4,362,771 % change: 0.2%
- John Hay Community Academy: # of students: 283 FY2021 Total: $3,235,311 FY2022 Total: $3,239,311 % change: 0.2%